Sena flays JD-U leader for questioning Bharat Ratna to Sachin
Mumbai: Shiv Sena on Monday objected to senior JD-U leader Shivanand Tiwari questioning the decision to award Bharat Ratna, the country`s highest civilian award, to Sachin Tendulkar.
"Even otherwise, Sachin is India`s Bharat Ratna. Does Tiwari suggest we give it to Lalu Yadav instead?" Sena leader Sanjay Raut said.
"Tiwari has no right to speak on Tendulkar. Sachin is part of India`s identity, Shivanand Tiwari is not," he said.
Raut demanded that former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee should also be awarded a Bharat Ratna. "If Rajiv Gandhi can get it then why not Vajpayee?" he said.
Those who are demanding the award for Vajpayee are not opposed to Sachin Tendulkar getting it, he said.
The JD(U) and Sena were longstanding partners in the BJP-led NDA.
Tiwari had said giving the Bharat Ratna to Tendulkar, who has earned millions from playing the sport of cricket, was nothing more than a joke. "Tendulkar has not played cricket for free," Tiwari had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'