Sena follows MNS in tirade against auto unions
Mumbai: Close on the heels of Maharashtra
Navnirman Sena (MNS) hitting out at the auto unions for
holding city to `ransom` over their demands, its arch-rival
Shiv Sena on Wednesday aunched a scathing attack on trade union
leader Sharad Rao while empathising with the city commuters
for their plight.
"Sharad Rao`s auto union is behaving in an arrogant
manner, which is causing inconvenience to the commuters. If
they continue with their similar behaviour then Shiv Sena will
come in support of the commuters," Shiv Sena spokesperson
Sanjay Raut told reporters.
Raut`s comments came in the background of MNS chief
Raj Thakeray`s resolve to protect Mumbaikars from "arrogant"
Singling out trade unionist Sharad Rao whose Mumbai
Auto-rickshawmen`s Union has threatened to go on indefinite
strike next month, Raj Thackeray yesterday said his party
would step in to counter the inconvenience caused to commuters
due to their "arrogant" behaviour.
Reacting to Rao`s statement that he would take out a
protest march to `Matoshree`, residence of party supremo Bal
Thackeray, Raut said, "the march has yet to reach Matoshree
because last night the party workers assaulted two auto
drivers in Shiv Sena style."
The party workers did not set the auto rickshaws on
fire but instead assaulted the automen who were making
preparations for the march, he added.
A section of auto rickshaws in the metropolis recently
kept off roads to demand a fare hike causing a lot of
inconvenience to thousands of commuters in suburbs.
Members of the Mumbai Autorickshaw men`s union led by
trade unionist Sharad Rao also staged protests near the
transport commissioner`s office in suburban Bandra for their
demands. The union had said its protest was mainly for the
revision of auto fares among other demands.
The protest was called off after the state government
raised auto fares in suburban Mumbai and Thane.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them