Sena MLA accuses former Cong minister`s son of illegal mining
Mumbai: A Shiv Sena MLA on Wednesday alleged that senior Congress leader Rohidas Patil`s son, Vinay, indulged in illegal mining of manganese ore in the coastal district of Sindhudurg and "misled" the MoEF in giving permission to the activity.
"A report submitted by (Vinay) Patil to Union Environment Ministry for acquiring permission for mining was based on false facts. Illegal mining to the tune of Rs 1,500-2,000 crore has taken place at the site in Kalne village. It is the government`s duty to unearth the truth," Sharad Patil, who represents Dhule (Rural) Assembly constituency, alleged in a press conference here.
Expressing dismay over setting up of a four-member committee by Maharashtra government last year to probe the matter, Patil said members in the committee lacked expertise on the issue.
"A member in the committee once served as a personal assistant to one of the political leaders," he said.
When contacted Rohidas Patil said, "I am not aware of any such activity. My son Vinay is out of the country right now.... I cannot comment on the allegations".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets