Sena MLA booked for threatening to "strip and thrash" woman
Mumbai: An FIR has been registered against Shiv Sena MLA Prakash Bala Sawant for allegedly threatening to "strip and thrash" a woman following an argument over a fight with regards to the redevelopment of a housing society in suburban Bandra, police said Wednesday.
"I will strip you in front of everyone and beat you up," Sawant allegedly said to the woman, as per her FIR registered against the MLA at Kherwadi police on Monday night.
"Based on complaint of the woman, who is in her 50s, the FIR has been registered against Sawant under sections 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of trust), 506 (criminal intimidation) and 509 (act intended to insult modesty of a woman) of the IPC," said Ashok Kadam, senior Inspector at the police station.
The woman and Sawant, who is the MLA from Bandra (East), have been sparring over the redevelopment of Gandhi Nagar Housing Society they reside in.
Police said there are a total of 36 Housing Board buildings in Gandhi Nagar Society and the redevelopment process has been on for several years and has led to the formation of several groups.
Both of them are committee members and are at disagreement about which builder should be selected for the redevelopment.
On Monday, the victim was walking towards her home when Sawant abused her and allegedly warned that he would strip her in front of everyone and thrash her, police said.
"We are looking for witnesses. After recording the statements of witnesses, we will decide next course of action," Kadam said.
Sawant was not immediately available for comments in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users