Sena MLA booked for threatening to "strip and thrash" woman
Mumbai: An FIR has been registered against Shiv Sena MLA Prakash Bala Sawant for allegedly threatening to "strip and thrash" a woman following an argument over a fight with regards to the redevelopment of a housing society in suburban Bandra, police said Wednesday.
"I will strip you in front of everyone and beat you up," Sawant allegedly said to the woman, as per her FIR registered against the MLA at Kherwadi police on Monday night.
"Based on complaint of the woman, who is in her 50s, the FIR has been registered against Sawant under sections 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of trust), 506 (criminal intimidation) and 509 (act intended to insult modesty of a woman) of the IPC," said Ashok Kadam, senior Inspector at the police station.
The woman and Sawant, who is the MLA from Bandra (East), have been sparring over the redevelopment of Gandhi Nagar Housing Society they reside in.
Police said there are a total of 36 Housing Board buildings in Gandhi Nagar Society and the redevelopment process has been on for several years and has led to the formation of several groups.
Both of them are committee members and are at disagreement about which builder should be selected for the redevelopment.
On Monday, the victim was walking towards her home when Sawant abused her and allegedly warned that he would strip her in front of everyone and thrash her, police said.
"We are looking for witnesses. After recording the statements of witnesses, we will decide next course of action," Kadam said.
Sawant was not immediately available for comments in this regard.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!