Sena MLA supporters protest outside Joshi`s house
Mumbai: Supporters of a Shiv Sena MLA on Sunday protested outside the house of senior party leader Manohar Joshi at Shivaji Park here, police said.
Supporters of Sena leader Sada Sarvankar shouted slogans in front of the house of the former Lok Sabha Speaker over speculation that Shiv Sena was planning to field Milind Vaidya from Dadar instead of Sarvankar, sources close to the MLA said.
Vaidya, a former Mayor of Mumbai, is a close associate of Joshi.
At the time of the protest, Sarvankar was at Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray`s house, `Matoshree`, to meet the Sena patriarch and executive president Uddhav Thackeray.
However, a senior Sena leader said it (the protest) was
being blown out of proportion.
Agitated supporters of Sarvankar turned their ire on
television camerapersons who were shooting the demonstration.
Several cameras were damaged by the supporters who asked them
not to shoot.
So far, no case has been registered by the police
against the demonstrators.
"Many people meet Balasaheb to put before the leadership the work they have done and how they are deserving candidates," the leader said when asked about Sarvankar`s meeting with the Thackerays.
The party`s first list of candidates is expected in a day or two. The party functionary said the candidates finalised are being informed on telephone. "The list will be made public by tonight or tomorrow," the functionary said.
The senior leader said there was resentment against Joshi after he took a soft stand on MNS president Raj Thackeray during a "meet-the-press" programme in the city last week.
Meanwhile, Sarvankar has denied that the demonstrators
were his supporters. "I condemn this incident," he said.
He described as routine his meeting with the Thackerays
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details