Sena MPs, legislators give month`s salary for drought relief
Mumbai: Shiv Sena`s elected public representatives, including MPs, legislators, have decided to contribute their one month`s salary towards drought relief work in the state.
This was announced by the Sena group leader in Legislative Assembly, Subhash Desai, who said the funds so collected would be part of the "Shiv Sena relief fund" and would be used to launch programmes like cattle camps in the affected areas.
The initiative would be launched by Sena president Uddhav Thackeray in Marathwada shortly, Desai said.
Republican Party of India leader Ramdas Athawale today met chief minister and announced he was contributing his month`s allowances as a former MP and ex-legislator, towards drought relief work.
Meanwhile, Shiv Sena corporators in Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) also donated their month`s salary in the Shiv Sena`s drought relief fund.
Mayor Sunil Prabhu, alongwith 71 other corporators, have decided to donate their month`s salary, a BMC official said adding that the Leader of the House in the civic body Yashodhar Phanse had moved a proposal in this regard, which was accepted by Prabhu.
BJP legislators had also recently decided to contribute their one month`s salary towards drought relief work in the state.
This year`s drought in Maharashtra is worse than the one the state had experienced in 1972, because water shortage is acute in many parts.
Home Minister R R Patil and Textiles and Minorities minister Mohammed Arif Naseem Khan have donated their one month`s salary for the drought relief.
The state gazetted officers` association has decided to give two days salary for the drought-hit. Cash-rich temple trusts like the Shirdi Sai Sansthan and the Siddhivinayak temple trust have also announced their contribution towards the drought relief work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves