Sena rally to protest Tata Power coal-run plant
Mumbai: Shiv Sena Friday held a rally from Chembur naka to Mahul against a proposed coal-run plant of Tata Power at Trombay.
Senior Sena leader Subhash Desai said the conversion of the 500-MW oil and gas fired unit 6 to coal-run will compound the air pollution problem in Ghatkopar, Chembur, Deonar and Mankhurd.
"We told their management today that the unit 6 be converted and should run on oil/gas. Similarly, we asked them to close down units 3 and 5 and convert them to gas fired ones or use any other environment-friendly solution," Desai said.
"They (management) said they would speak to higher-ups. We told them we will also speak to Ratan Tata as he is a sensible person," Desai said.
"We brought to their notice the grave threat to citizens already suffering from respiratory infections because of the Deonar dumping ground, the chemical fertilizer factory and the oil refineries in the area," Desai said.
At a public hearing held by the office of the suburban collector of Mumbai and MPCB in January, Tata Power was asked to reveal how it planned to solve the pollution problem, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!