Sena slams top cop for asking pandals to ensure women`s safety
Mumbai: Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray has criticised Mumbai Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh`s statement that Ganesh mandals should protect women devotees who come to seek blessings.
"If Ganesh mandals have to protect the women devotees, then why is there a need for police?" Uddhav was quoted as saying in a statement issued on Sunday.
Satyapal Singh had said yesterday that "It is the responsibility of the pandal organisers to ensure that female devotees, who would flock to take blessings of the Ganesha, should not be eve-teased or molested. If any incident like this occurs, it would go against pandal organisers."
The top police official also said that if pandals failed to ensure safety of women devotees they might not be allowed to organise the event next year.
Uddhav said such circulars were issued only during the festivals of a particular community and not on others. "If police are not able to protect women, then Shiv Sena has been taking the responsibility to protect women and will continue to do so," the Sena leader asserted.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Cute, adorable Royal baby Princess Charlotte at six months: Clicked by Mom Kate - See pic