Sena`s Prabhu files papers for Mumbai Mayoral poll
Mumbai: Shiv Sena Corporator Sunil Prabhu
will be the saffron combine`s candidate for the Mumbai Mayor`s
post election for which will be held on March 9.
Prabhu on Monday filed his papers for the post which the
Sena is all set to retain.
Congress, the main Opposition, has fielded Sunil More,
its Corporator from ward 195, as nominee for the Mayor`s post.
BJP`s Mohan Mithbavkar submitted nomination for Deputy
Mayor`s post. He will be challenged by NCP Corporator from
ward 118 Khan Haroon Yusuf.
Today was the last day of filing nominations for the
Prabhu`s candidature was finalised at a meeting of the
Sena-BJP leaders, held at `Matoshri` (residence of Thackerays)
in suburban Bandra today.
Following is the party position in Brihanmumbai
Municipal Corporation (BMC) after the February 16 polls: Total
seats 227 -- BJP 32, Congress 50, NCP 14, Shiv Sena 75, MNS 28
and others 28.
Though the Sena-BJP-RPI alliance is short of halfway
mark (114) in the country`s richest municipal body, the bloc
is likely to muster the required number with the support of
Independents and others.
Mumbai had two women Mayors over the last five years
owing to reservations, and this time, the post is under the
The Mayor`s post, though largely ceremonial, is
considered to be prestigious. The clout the post brings with
it is a major reason why Corporators lobby hard to vie for
becoming Mumbai`s first citizen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!