Senior cop arrested in fake encounter case
Mumbai: In a fresh development to the "fake"
encounter case of Ramnarayan Gupta, a police officer was today
arrested for his alleged role in the killing of the suspected
aide of gangster Chhota Rajan, over which another top cop had
been dismissed from service earlier.
Pradeep Suryavanshi, senior inspector at MIDC police
station, was arrested after he was called in for questioning
by Special Investigation Team (SIT), probing the fake
encounter case, Deputy Police Commissioner K M M Prasanna
With this, the total arrests in the case has gone up
to eight, including encounter specialist Pradeep Sharma.
Ramnarayan alias Lakhan Bhaiyya was killed allegedly in a
"staged" encounter by a police team headed by the then
Inspector Pradeep Sharma on November 11, 2006 in Versova here.
Dismissed inspector Sharma, constables Ratnakar Kamble,
Tanaji Desai, Vinayak Shinde, and three others had been held
by the SIT headed by Prasanna in connection with the case in
In August last year, the Bombay High Court had directed
DCP Prasanna to lodge a complaint and head the probe in the
case after the deceased`s advocate-brother Ramprasad Gupta
had filed a petition alleging that the encounter was staged.
After the encounter, the police had claimed that
Ramnarayan shot at them after which they shot back in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Israel destroys 11 Palestinian homes on outskirts of Jerusalem
- Congress would form govt in UP after 27 years: Sheila Dikshit
- Here's how a 110-year-old lobster Larry rescued from becoming a meal!- See pics
- US, North Korea trade barbs over nuclear weapon tests
- Palestinians seek to sue Britain over 1917 vow to Jews