Senior cop awarded 3 months jail for threatening judge
Mumbai: Suspended police officer Pradeep
Suryavanshi was Friday sentenced to three months imprisonment for threatening a magistrate who was conducting probe into the
fake encounter of an alleged Chhota Rajan gang member in 2006.
A Bombay High Court division bench of justices A M
Khanwilkar and A R Joshi convicted the senior police inspector
and also imposed a fine of Rs 2,000 on him.
In July 2009, the high court had initiated contempt
proceedings against Suryavanshi, an accused in the fake
encounter case of Ramnarayan Gupta, after learning that he had
allegedly tried to threaten R K Shaikh, metropolitan
magistrate at suburban Andheri.
Shaikh was directed by the court to conduct a judicial
probe into the encounter after Gupta`s brother approached the
court claiming that it was a fake encounter.
Last July, the disciplinary committee had found
Suryavanshi guilty of threatening the magistrate and as
punishment had stopped his increment for two years.
Dhiraj Mirajkar, advocate for Suryavanshi, argued that
there had been a misunderstanding in the entire episode and
that the senior inspector had only asked for a copy of the
magistrate`s report in the case.
Apart from Suryavanshi, encounter specialist Pradeep
Sharma and 17 others have been arrested for their alleged
involvement in the fake encounter of Gupta.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read