Sentencing in Mumbai photojournalist gang-rape case postponed till Tuesday
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: A Mumbai sessions court on Monday postponed the sentencing in the infamous photojournalist gang-rape case till tomorrow, while also accepting the prosecution`s appeal to add IPC section 376 (E) against the three common accused.
The trio, Mohammed Salim Ansari, Vijay Mohan Jadhav and Mohammad Qasim Hafiz Shaikh alias Kasim Bengali are common convicts in both telephone operator and photojournalist gang-rape cases.
While pleading not guilty, the convicts refused to sign the copy of the charges, stating that they are yet to go through the judgement in the telephone operator case.
On March 21, the court had sentenced four convicts to life imprisonment till death for gang-raping a 19-year-old telephone operator last July in the compound of Shakti Mills. However, the court had adjourned the photojournalist case till today to decide on the application demanding framing of additional charges on the three common convicts before pronouncing the quantum of punishment.
Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam had filed an application seeking framing of additional charges on the three common convicts in the photojournalist gang-rape case, for repeated offence under Section 376(e) of the IPC.
Nikam said that the maximum penalty under Section 376(e) of IPC is capital punishment.
On August 22, 2013, a 23-year old photojournalist who was working as a trainee with an English magazine and was gang-raped by five youths, including a minor, when she and a male colleague had gone to the Shakti mills compound for an assignment.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news