Sentencing in Mumbai photojournalist gang-rape case postponed till Tuesday
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: A Mumbai sessions court on Monday postponed the sentencing in the infamous photojournalist gang-rape case till tomorrow, while also accepting the prosecution`s appeal to add IPC section 376 (E) against the three common accused.
The trio, Mohammed Salim Ansari, Vijay Mohan Jadhav and Mohammad Qasim Hafiz Shaikh alias Kasim Bengali are common convicts in both telephone operator and photojournalist gang-rape cases.
While pleading not guilty, the convicts refused to sign the copy of the charges, stating that they are yet to go through the judgement in the telephone operator case.
On March 21, the court had sentenced four convicts to life imprisonment till death for gang-raping a 19-year-old telephone operator last July in the compound of Shakti Mills. However, the court had adjourned the photojournalist case till today to decide on the application demanding framing of additional charges on the three common convicts before pronouncing the quantum of punishment.
Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam had filed an application seeking framing of additional charges on the three common convicts in the photojournalist gang-rape case, for repeated offence under Section 376(e) of the IPC.
Nikam said that the maximum penalty under Section 376(e) of IPC is capital punishment.
On August 22, 2013, a 23-year old photojournalist who was working as a trainee with an English magazine and was gang-raped by five youths, including a minor, when she and a male colleague had gone to the Shakti mills compound for an assignment.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- IPL 9 VIDEO: When RCB skipper Virat Kohli turned painter!
- Focus on political consensus for GST: Industry to government
- Would love to do 'Charlie's Angels' with Jacqueline, Nargis: Lisa Haydon
- Barack Obama banishes Vietnam war era with lifting of arms ban
- India braces for more heat after temperature breaks records; over 300 dead in Telangana