Sentencing in Mumbai photojournalist gang-rape case postponed till Tuesday
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: A Mumbai sessions court on Monday postponed the sentencing in the infamous photojournalist gang-rape case till tomorrow, while also accepting the prosecution`s appeal to add IPC section 376 (E) against the three common accused.
The trio, Mohammed Salim Ansari, Vijay Mohan Jadhav and Mohammad Qasim Hafiz Shaikh alias Kasim Bengali are common convicts in both telephone operator and photojournalist gang-rape cases.
While pleading not guilty, the convicts refused to sign the copy of the charges, stating that they are yet to go through the judgement in the telephone operator case.
On March 21, the court had sentenced four convicts to life imprisonment till death for gang-raping a 19-year-old telephone operator last July in the compound of Shakti Mills. However, the court had adjourned the photojournalist case till today to decide on the application demanding framing of additional charges on the three common convicts before pronouncing the quantum of punishment.
Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam had filed an application seeking framing of additional charges on the three common convicts in the photojournalist gang-rape case, for repeated offence under Section 376(e) of the IPC.
Nikam said that the maximum penalty under Section 376(e) of IPC is capital punishment.
On August 22, 2013, a 23-year old photojournalist who was working as a trainee with an English magazine and was gang-raped by five youths, including a minor, when she and a male colleague had gone to the Shakti mills compound for an assignment.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued