Service Tax searches at wedding decorators premises
Mumbai: A day after the I-T department conducted searches at the house of Maharashtra minister Bhaskar Jadhav, the Service Tax department on Wednesday conducted search operations at the offices of decorators who provided decorative items for the lavish wedding of his children.
Searches were being conducted at DG Decorators` office located in suburban Mumbai and its owner`s house by the Service Tax department, sources said.
The Directorate General of Central Excise Intelligence was also conducting searches at the decorator`s office and house at Karad in Satara district of Maharashtra, the sources said.
The I-T department had on Monday conducted searches at the premises Jadhav, who is the Minister of State for Urban Development, after he came under scanner for the lavish wedding hosted at Chiplun, when many parts of the state were facing the prospect of a severe drought.
The inquiries and searches were carried out by a team of 11 officers at his hotel as well as residence in Chiplun (Ratnagiri) and Karad (Satara) on February 18, I-T sources had said yesterday.
The I-T sleuths had also recorded the statement of the NCP leader on Monday night at his Chiplun residence, they said.
The department is gathering information about the huge expenses incurred on the elaborate wedding of Jadhav`s son and daughter on February 13.
Soon after the ceremony, the NCP had disapproved of the lavish wedding hosted by its minister and had termed it as "inappropriate" when many parts of Maharashtra were reeling under water scarcity.
"Such ostentatious show of wealth was inappropriate for those in public life," NCP spokesman Nawab Malik had said.
NCP chief and Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar too had voiced his displeasure. Pawar had said that he could not sleep the whole night when he saw visuals of the wedding on television.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide