Set up independent development authority for Thane: Ajit
Thane: Former Deputy Chief Minister of Maharashtra Ajit Pawar has underlined the need for setting up an independent development authority for Thane district on the lines of those existing in Mumbai and Pune.
Mumbai and Pune have their own regional development agencies MMRDA and PMRDA, respectively, and Thane, including Navi Mumbai, should also have such a body for planned and integrated growth of the district, the senior NCP leader said.
Speaking at a function in Mhape, Navi Mumbai after launching a road work yesterday, Pawar said he would soon meet Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and discuss the issue.
He said MMRDA, which covers parts of Thane, has been doing a good work in Mumbai and its suburbs. Hence, its jurisdiction should be restricted to Mumbai alone and Thane should have an independent development agency, he said.
He took a dig at social activist-politician Arvind Kejriwal, saying in a democracy everyone has a right to express his or her views but that does not mean that there is only corruption in the country. Some good things are also taking place, which are being ignored.
Pawar said the recent local body election results show that people still have faith in the ruling Congress-NCP combine in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister