Seven auto-rickshaws damaged in Mumbai
Mumbai: Seven auto-rickshaws were on Wednesday
attacked by unidentified persons, days after the drivers went
on a day-long strike twice last week and their union
threatened indefinite agitation in November for revision of
fares, police said.
Twelve persons, believed to be associated with
political parties, were arrested for damaging an autorickshaw
in Sion area, they said.
One autorickshaw each in Vile Parle, Nirmal Nagar, Kurar
and three in Borivali were also damaged by unidentified
persons, who are absconding, police said.
Mumbai Auto-rickshawmen`s Union has threatened an
indefinite strike next month demanding upward revision of
Autos went off the roads on two separate days last week
giving commuters in the suburbs a harrowing time.
Yesterday, MNS chief Raj Thackeray had said his party
would step in to minimise the inconvenience caused to
commuters due to the "arrogant" behaviour of auto drivers.
Shiv Sena also criticised the auto union and expressed
sympathy with the commuters.
Meanwhile, in a late night statement, Sharad Rao,
president of Mumbai Auto-rickshawmens` Union, said that MNS
Chief Raj Thackeray`s statements yesterday had incited the
The statement held Raj Thackeray directly responsible for
the attacks on rickshaws, and sought action against him.
According to Rao, two rickshaws, belonging to Arjun Dhere
and one Patil respectively, both "Marathis", alongwith another
of Radheshyam Yadav were burnt last night.
This apart, rickshaws were damaged in Bandra, Goregaon
Prabodhan, Santacruz-Vakola, Malad, etc, it said.
The statement also alleged that this was a conspiracy to
create tension in the city, so as to "affect" tomorrow`s
annual Dussehra rally of Shiv Sena.
Rickshaw drivers had been victims of political
one-upmanship between MNS and Sena, Rao alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news