Seven auto-rickshaws damaged in Mumbai
Mumbai: Seven auto-rickshaws were on Wednesday
attacked by unidentified persons, days after the drivers went
on a day-long strike twice last week and their union
threatened indefinite agitation in November for revision of
fares, police said.
Twelve persons, believed to be associated with
political parties, were arrested for damaging an autorickshaw
in Sion area, they said.
One autorickshaw each in Vile Parle, Nirmal Nagar, Kurar
and three in Borivali were also damaged by unidentified
persons, who are absconding, police said.
Mumbai Auto-rickshawmen`s Union has threatened an
indefinite strike next month demanding upward revision of
Autos went off the roads on two separate days last week
giving commuters in the suburbs a harrowing time.
Yesterday, MNS chief Raj Thackeray had said his party
would step in to minimise the inconvenience caused to
commuters due to the "arrogant" behaviour of auto drivers.
Shiv Sena also criticised the auto union and expressed
sympathy with the commuters.
Meanwhile, in a late night statement, Sharad Rao,
president of Mumbai Auto-rickshawmens` Union, said that MNS
Chief Raj Thackeray`s statements yesterday had incited the
The statement held Raj Thackeray directly responsible for
the attacks on rickshaws, and sought action against him.
According to Rao, two rickshaws, belonging to Arjun Dhere
and one Patil respectively, both "Marathis", alongwith another
of Radheshyam Yadav were burnt last night.
This apart, rickshaws were damaged in Bandra, Goregaon
Prabodhan, Santacruz-Vakola, Malad, etc, it said.
The statement also alleged that this was a conspiracy to
create tension in the city, so as to "affect" tomorrow`s
annual Dussehra rally of Shiv Sena.
Rickshaw drivers had been victims of political
one-upmanship between MNS and Sena, Rao alleged.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged