Seven auto-rickshaws damaged in Mumbai
Mumbai: Seven auto-rickshaws were on Wednesday
attacked by unidentified persons, days after the drivers went
on a day-long strike twice last week and their union
threatened indefinite agitation in November for revision of
fares, police said.
Twelve persons, believed to be associated with
political parties, were arrested for damaging an autorickshaw
in Sion area, they said.
One autorickshaw each in Vile Parle, Nirmal Nagar, Kurar
and three in Borivali were also damaged by unidentified
persons, who are absconding, police said.
Mumbai Auto-rickshawmen`s Union has threatened an
indefinite strike next month demanding upward revision of
Autos went off the roads on two separate days last week
giving commuters in the suburbs a harrowing time.
Yesterday, MNS chief Raj Thackeray had said his party
would step in to minimise the inconvenience caused to
commuters due to the "arrogant" behaviour of auto drivers.
Shiv Sena also criticised the auto union and expressed
sympathy with the commuters.
Meanwhile, in a late night statement, Sharad Rao,
president of Mumbai Auto-rickshawmens` Union, said that MNS
Chief Raj Thackeray`s statements yesterday had incited the
The statement held Raj Thackeray directly responsible for
the attacks on rickshaws, and sought action against him.
According to Rao, two rickshaws, belonging to Arjun Dhere
and one Patil respectively, both "Marathis", alongwith another
of Radheshyam Yadav were burnt last night.
This apart, rickshaws were damaged in Bandra, Goregaon
Prabodhan, Santacruz-Vakola, Malad, etc, it said.
The statement also alleged that this was a conspiracy to
create tension in the city, so as to "affect" tomorrow`s
annual Dussehra rally of Shiv Sena.
Rickshaw drivers had been victims of political
one-upmanship between MNS and Sena, Rao alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical