Seven Congress corporators join Shiv Sena
Thane/Mumbai: In a jolt to the ruling Congress in Maharashtra, seven party corporators from Thane city joined the Shiv Sena Saturday.
The corporators were led by Ravindra Phatak, the party strongman in the city and a staunch supporter of Industry Minister Narayan Rane.
Welcoming them to the party fold, Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray said: "We have not tried to break the (Congress) party in Thane, they have come on their own."
"Now, he needs to exercise restraint and join a party where he can get some peace," Thackeray said referring to Rane.
Thackeray, however, added that he did not want to "spoil" his mouth by uttering his (Rane`s) name.
Unfazed by the development, Rane said: "Anybody is free to go to any party".
Thane legislator and Shiv Sena leader Eknath Shinde criticised Rane, alleging that the minister has "lost his mental balance".
Besides Phatak and his wife, others who joined the Shiv Sena Saturday are Deepak Vatkar, Raja Gawari, Kanchan Chindkar, Manpreet Kaur and Minal Sankhe.
Rane has already announced that he would quit as minister Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!