Seven Congress corporators join Shiv Sena
Thane/Mumbai: In a jolt to the ruling Congress in Maharashtra, seven party corporators from Thane city joined the Shiv Sena Saturday.
The corporators were led by Ravindra Phatak, the party strongman in the city and a staunch supporter of Industry Minister Narayan Rane.
Welcoming them to the party fold, Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray said: "We have not tried to break the (Congress) party in Thane, they have come on their own."
"Now, he needs to exercise restraint and join a party where he can get some peace," Thackeray said referring to Rane.
Thackeray, however, added that he did not want to "spoil" his mouth by uttering his (Rane`s) name.
Unfazed by the development, Rane said: "Anybody is free to go to any party".
Thane legislator and Shiv Sena leader Eknath Shinde criticised Rane, alleging that the minister has "lost his mental balance".
Besides Phatak and his wife, others who joined the Shiv Sena Saturday are Deepak Vatkar, Raja Gawari, Kanchan Chindkar, Manpreet Kaur and Minal Sankhe.
Rane has already announced that he would quit as minister Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic