Seven Naxals killed in police encounter in Maharashtra
Gondia/Gadchiroli: In a major anti-Naxal operation, seven Maoists were killed in Betkathi village in Maharashtra`s Gondia district in the wee hours of Tuesday.
According to police, the face-off between the Naxals and C-60 Commando force personnel took place in Korchi taluka of the village, situated on the Gondia-Gadchiroli border.
The jawans reached the village last night on a tip off that some Naxals were hiding in the Betkathi jungle area. A fierce gun-battle followed and seven Maoists were gunned down, they said.
The bodies of all the seven Naxals have been brought to Gadchiroli and their identification and other processes are on, said Gadchiroli police PRO Dharmendra Joshi.
This operation led by Gadchiroli Police comes after Govindgaon, Bhatpar and Sindesur encounters in which some 23 Naxals were killed last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed