Seven Naxals killed in police encounter in Maharashtra
Gondia/Gadchiroli: In a major anti-Naxal operation, seven Maoists were killed in Betkathi village in Maharashtra`s Gondia district in the wee hours of Tuesday.
According to police, the face-off between the Naxals and C-60 Commando force personnel took place in Korchi taluka of the village, situated on the Gondia-Gadchiroli border.
The jawans reached the village last night on a tip off that some Naxals were hiding in the Betkathi jungle area. A fierce gun-battle followed and seven Maoists were gunned down, they said.
The bodies of all the seven Naxals have been brought to Gadchiroli and their identification and other processes are on, said Gadchiroli police PRO Dharmendra Joshi.
This operation led by Gadchiroli Police comes after Govindgaon, Bhatpar and Sindesur encounters in which some 23 Naxals were killed last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29