Several alerts on Naxal movement preceded Sukma ambush: Sources
Raipur: Preliminary probe into yesterday`s Naxal ambush in Chhattisgarh`s Sukma district has indicated involvement of its Darbha unit leader Surendra, sources in Chhattisgarh Police said tonight.
In a brazen daytime attack, 16 people including 11 CRPF personnel, four state police and one civilian were gunned down by Naxals in Jeerum Nallah area of Sukma district of Bastar, 400 kilometres from here.
The investigators had also learnt that Ramanna, a member of the central committee of the Naxals, was present in Bastar in the last few days.
On March 5, the police got a tip-off that Surendra and another leader Jagdish, the `commander` of Dantewada platoon no. 26 of the Naxals, were "rehearsing" for a big attack with about 50 cadres, sources told PTI.
Police apprehended a big attack along Dantewada-Sukma road, Darbha-Katekalyan road, Katekalyan-Kuakonda road or Jagdalpur-Sukma road, and the local police were alerted about the same, they said.
On March 6, the State Intelligence Bureau learnt that about 30 Maoists had assembled near Jeerum, and speculated that they could target the police providing security to the road construction work there. The State Intelligence had also warned of Naxal activities in Tongpal area, sources added.
Similar information about Maoists assembling came on the next couple of days too.
According to the sources, the investigation so far had revealed that Surendra was the mastermind of yesterday`s attack. He was involved in several such incidents earlier.
R K Vij, Additional Director General of Police (Naxal operations) conceded that the fact that yesterday`s attack could not be averted despite intelligence inputs should cause concern. If there were any lapses, they would come to light during the investigation, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400