Several alerts on Naxal movement preceded Sukma ambush: Sources
Raipur: Preliminary probe into yesterday`s Naxal ambush in Chhattisgarh`s Sukma district has indicated involvement of its Darbha unit leader Surendra, sources in Chhattisgarh Police said tonight.
In a brazen daytime attack, 16 people including 11 CRPF personnel, four state police and one civilian were gunned down by Naxals in Jeerum Nallah area of Sukma district of Bastar, 400 kilometres from here.
The investigators had also learnt that Ramanna, a member of the central committee of the Naxals, was present in Bastar in the last few days.
On March 5, the police got a tip-off that Surendra and another leader Jagdish, the `commander` of Dantewada platoon no. 26 of the Naxals, were "rehearsing" for a big attack with about 50 cadres, sources told PTI.
Police apprehended a big attack along Dantewada-Sukma road, Darbha-Katekalyan road, Katekalyan-Kuakonda road or Jagdalpur-Sukma road, and the local police were alerted about the same, they said.
On March 6, the State Intelligence Bureau learnt that about 30 Maoists had assembled near Jeerum, and speculated that they could target the police providing security to the road construction work there. The State Intelligence had also warned of Naxal activities in Tongpal area, sources added.
Similar information about Maoists assembling came on the next couple of days too.
According to the sources, the investigation so far had revealed that Surendra was the mastermind of yesterday`s attack. He was involved in several such incidents earlier.
R K Vij, Additional Director General of Police (Naxal operations) conceded that the fact that yesterday`s attack could not be averted despite intelligence inputs should cause concern. If there were any lapses, they would come to light during the investigation, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list