Sex racket busted in Pune; 12 girls rescued
Pune: A high profile inter-state sex racket was busted by city crime branch in which twelve girls including nine from other countries, were rescued and five alleged procurers arrested, police said Wednesday.
The operation was carried out in an apartment in the plush Koregaon park area on Monday night on a tip-off by a local municipal corporator and with the help of a decoy customer, said Bhanupratap Barge, Inspector, social security cell of Pune police crime branch.
The detained girls, aged between 19 and 25, included one each from Uzbekistan and Nepal and seven from Bangladesh. Three Indian girls included one from Delhi.
Police who suspect involvement of an inter-state racket in the running of the brothel said the Uzbek girl was believed to have been staying in the country for a long time as she spoke fluent Hindi.
A court remanded the five accused, arrested under Prevention of Immoral Trafficking Act (PITA), to police custody till January 31.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media
- Sania Mirza trolls Sanjay Manjrekar on Twitter after completing 80 consecutive weeks as World No. 1 doubles player