Sexual assaults continue in Maharashtra despite national outrage
Pune/Akola/Mumbai: The nationwide outrage over Delhi gangrape notwithstanding, reports of sexual assault and harassment continued to pour in from different parts of Maharashtra on Tuesday.
A six-year-old girl was sexually assaulted in suburban Hadapsar in Pune, while persistent harassment by a stalker drove a girl to end her life in Akola.
In Thane, a jilted lover attacked a 25-year-old woman with a razor blade and later attempted to take his own life by consuming poison, police said.
A six-year-old girl was found lying in an open ground after being sexually assaulted by an unidentified assailant at Hadapsar. The victim, who lived with her mother in a slum colony, was shifted to government hospital and was reported out of danger.
Investigation is on but no arrest has been made so far, police said.
A 20-year-old girl committed suicide in Akola after being allegedly stalked and harassed by a man for the last two years.
Chandrakant Borkar (30) had been allegedly harassing the girl by passing lewd comments and stalking her, police said, adding she had informed her father about it.
Severely disturbed, the girl hanged herself from a ceiling fan at her home in Bhagirathwadi area of the town last night.
Based on the complaint filed by the deceased`s father, police have registered a case against Borkar under sections 306 (abetment of suicide) and 506 (criminal intimidation) of the IPC. The accused is yet to be arrested.
In Thane`s Kopri locality, neighbouring state capital Mumbai,
a jilted lover allegedly attacked a woman with a razor blade and later tried to end his life by consuming poison.
The incident happened last night when the 25-year-old victim was returning home from work. The accused-- Narendra Kave--accosted her near a railway bridge and repeatedly slashed her, police said.
Kave, also aged around 25 years, consumed poison.
Both were residents of Kopri colony and the woman had broken off with the accused sometime back.
Both have been hospitalised and are reported to be out of danger, sources said.
An offence under section 307 (attempt to murder) has been registered against the accused.
In Mumbai, a 29-year-old married woman, celebrating the New Year at a crowded beach in suburban Juhu, was allegedly molested by a drunken man, who was subsequently arrested.
According to police, the victim and her husband were celebrating at the Juhu Chowpatty when around 1.30 am accused Hyder Ali touched her inappropriately.
"Her husband immediately reported the incident to policemen deployed at the beach," said Arun Chavan, Senior Inspector of Santacruz Police Station, adding the offender was subsequently arrested. He was later produced before a court which granted him bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read