Shaikh demands Nitesh`s arrest, Rane family dismisses charge
Mumbai: Chintu Shaikh, a member of an NGO run by Nitesh Rane, Maharashtra Revenue Minister`s son, on Friday demanded his arrest for allegedly firing at him, a charge dismissed as "politically motivated" by the Rane family.
"When I went to the office (of Nitesh) in Khar with sweets in my hand, I was cornered by Nitesh`s PA, one Zaheed and four body guards. Nitesh tried to kill me," Shaikh said
showing the injury on his cheek.
"He should be arrested immediately," he said. "We have done X-ray, dental check up, CT scan of brain and ultrasound test on Shaikh. According to our evaluation,
the injury in all probability is not caused by a bullet," Dr Sujit Chatterjee, CEO of Hiranandani hospital said.
Nitesh has been charged under IPC sections 307 (attempt to murder), 323 (punishment for voluntarily causing hurt), 504 (Intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of the
peace) and 34 (acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention) and relevant sections of Arms Act, police said.
Nilesh, brother of Nitesh, who visited Khar police station last night, described the charge as "politically motivated and aimed at tarnishing the image of our family". Shaikh, who recently joined the NGO, Swabhiman Sangathana, run by Nitesh after leaving Raj Thackeray-led Maharashtra Navnirman Sena, told police that the bullet first hit a glass and then his right cheek and jaw, injuring him.
"Shaikh had gone to Nitesh`s NGO office at around 4 pm yesterday when Nitesh was furious over a matter related to loss he suffered in business. At that time, Shaikh went there with sweets in hand to tell them a good news," a police official said quoting the 35-year-old victim.
"Already angry over another issue, Nitesh in a fit of rage fired one bullet at him which hit a glass there, the victim claimed. Subsequently, the victim said, the bullet pierced his right cheek," the official added.
Chief Minister Ashok Chavan said he would not like to comment on the matter till he got all the information. "I was not in Mumbai last night. I have just come back. I don`t have
detailed information on this matter. The police will investigate the matter and take action".
In an apparent reaction over yesterday`s attack, Nitesh said on Twitter, "can`t trap a tiger using a mousetrap... better luck next time!! Sheikh`s wife Simran said it appeared to be a
"pre-planned attack" and demanded a CBI enquiry into the incident.
She said police have not arrested Nitesh because he is a minister`s son.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read