Shaikh demands Nitesh`s arrest, Rane family dismisses charge
Mumbai: Chintu Shaikh, a member of an NGO run by Nitesh Rane, Maharashtra Revenue Minister`s son, on Friday demanded his arrest for allegedly firing at him, a charge dismissed as "politically motivated" by the Rane family.
"When I went to the office (of Nitesh) in Khar with sweets in my hand, I was cornered by Nitesh`s PA, one Zaheed and four body guards. Nitesh tried to kill me," Shaikh said
showing the injury on his cheek.
"He should be arrested immediately," he said. "We have done X-ray, dental check up, CT scan of brain and ultrasound test on Shaikh. According to our evaluation,
the injury in all probability is not caused by a bullet," Dr Sujit Chatterjee, CEO of Hiranandani hospital said.
Nitesh has been charged under IPC sections 307 (attempt to murder), 323 (punishment for voluntarily causing hurt), 504 (Intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of the
peace) and 34 (acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention) and relevant sections of Arms Act, police said.
Nilesh, brother of Nitesh, who visited Khar police station last night, described the charge as "politically motivated and aimed at tarnishing the image of our family". Shaikh, who recently joined the NGO, Swabhiman Sangathana, run by Nitesh after leaving Raj Thackeray-led Maharashtra Navnirman Sena, told police that the bullet first hit a glass and then his right cheek and jaw, injuring him.
"Shaikh had gone to Nitesh`s NGO office at around 4 pm yesterday when Nitesh was furious over a matter related to loss he suffered in business. At that time, Shaikh went there with sweets in hand to tell them a good news," a police official said quoting the 35-year-old victim.
"Already angry over another issue, Nitesh in a fit of rage fired one bullet at him which hit a glass there, the victim claimed. Subsequently, the victim said, the bullet pierced his right cheek," the official added.
Chief Minister Ashok Chavan said he would not like to comment on the matter till he got all the information. "I was not in Mumbai last night. I have just come back. I don`t have
detailed information on this matter. The police will investigate the matter and take action".
In an apparent reaction over yesterday`s attack, Nitesh said on Twitter, "can`t trap a tiger using a mousetrap... better luck next time!! Sheikh`s wife Simran said it appeared to be a
"pre-planned attack" and demanded a CBI enquiry into the incident.
She said police have not arrested Nitesh because he is a minister`s son.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India