Shakti Mill telephone operator rape case: Defence lawyer alleges frame-up by police
Mumbai: The lawyer of Siraj Rehman, one of the accused in the Shakti Mill telephone operator rape case, on Friday argued before the trial court here that his client was innocent and had been framed up.
"Accused Siraj Rehman has been made a scapegoat as he was also arrested in the photojournalist rape case (which took place on the same premises some days later)," his lawyer R G Gadgil said.
The court is hearing the final arguments.
Earlier, special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam argued before the Principal Judge Shalini Phansalkar-Joshi that all the evidence had been corroborated, and the accused should be convicted.
Gadgil argued that victim`s statement was a concocted story. "It`s like a movie, the screenplay was ready and the police went on inserting (names of) the actors (accused)", Gadgil alleged and added that words were put in the victim`s mouth.
Mobile phone and a SIM card were planted on the accused just to implicate him, Gadgil said.
During the cross-examination of one of the police officers, who arrested the accused, he had told the court that there could be many people with such names, Gadgil noted.
Further, one `panch` witness did not even state the date on which their statements were recorded. "One of the panch witnesses is a mechanic, and he also repaired police`s vehicles as he knew them," said Gadgil.
"The investigation officer was given instructions to make up such a case, and hence he made it up," the lawyer said.
The identification parade was flawed as the witnesses already knew the name of the accused, he argued.
Lawyers of the other three accused are likely to make their arguments on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings