Shakti Mills gang rape case adjourned till Wednesday
Mumbai: A Mumbai court Tuesday adjourned hearing in the photojournalist gang rape case till Wednesday after the defence lawyer decided to move Bombay High Court, challenging the enhanced charges against three common convicts for repeat offences.
On Monday, the prosecution had framed enhanced charges under the Indian Penal Code`s section 376(E), which attracts punishment of life imprisonment till death or the death penalty.
Defence lawyer P. Falsingkar informed Principal Judge Shalini Phansalkar Joshi that he would be filing an application in the high court challenging the new charges.
The three accused, who were found guilty in the gang rape of a telephone operator July 31, were awarded life sentence till death, but they have denied the charges.
Vijay Jadhav (20), Qasim Hafiz Sheikh alias Qasim Bengali (20) and Salim Ansari (27) were also found guilty in the gang rape of a woman photojournalist in the Shakti Mills premises Aug 22.
Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said that in view of their repeat offences in the two cases, they could be tried under the enhanced charges.
Nikam also examined the investigation officer in the telephone operator case and a police constable to prove the charges of repeat offence Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery