Sharad Pawar has ditched fishermen: BJP`s Ram Naik
Mumbai: Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar has "ditched" fishermen after assuring that their demands, including diesel supply at low cost would be considered, senior BJP leader Ram Naik said here on Monday.
"The fishermen had made demands, including rebate of Rs 4 per litre of diesel, provide loan at 4 per cent interest and passing a suitable legislation to ensure safety beyond 12 nautical miles in sea," Naik said.
Pawar had assured that the demands would be considered positively, at a meeting held on April 26, Naik said. However, instead of taking positive decisions, Pawar has ditched fishermen who will now launch an agitation, Naik told reporters.
There was need for a legislation to maintain law and order in the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) as there have been frequent attacks on fishermen fishing beyond 12 nautical miles, he said.
"Pawar had assured that the Bill is under consideration. We have now received Pawar`s letter dated September 21, which says subsidy would be provided only to below fishermen living below the poverty line. Regarding the rate of interest, Pawar says that the matter would be proposed for incorporation in the revised schemes for 12th plan", Naik said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Massive surge in BJP's seats; counting underway
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP closes gap with Shiv Sena in BMC, dominates in other cities
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway