Sharad Pawar won`t contest Lok Sabha elections: NCP
Mumbai: The NCP on Thursday said that Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar has no Prime Ministerial ambitions and won`t contest the next Lok Sabha elections.
Hitting out at Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray for his comments that Pawar nursed ambitions to become PM while his nephew Ajit Pawar wanted to be Chief Minister, NCP spokesman Nawab Malik said Uddhav has been away from mainstream politics and hence does not know that Pawar has decided not to contest the Lok Sabha elections.
"Uddhav says he had no such (chief ministerial) dreams. You don`t get such dreams because your party has no strength. Take care of your own house before you criticise others. Your party and home were divided because of power struggle.
"Pawar saheb has not told his party workers to take care of his daughter or nephew like the late Sena chief, who asked his followers to look after his son and grandson," Malik said.
He said despite the NCP workers` demand that he contest the Lok Sabha polls, Pawar is firm on his decision.
"NCP knows its strength. Our leaders cannot be in the PM race by contesting only 22 Lok Sabha seats," he said.
Malik also alleged that the Maharashtra Housing and Area Development Authority (MHADA) was competing with private builders in the housing sector and charging exorbitant prices for its tenements by forgetting its objective of providing affordable housing.
He said non-official appointments have not been made on the MHADA board for last ten years because of which officials were having a free hand there.
The government should direct MHADA to lower the prices of its flats under section 164 of the MHADA Act, he said.
Also, taking a dig at Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan flagging off the safety trial run of Metro railway yesterday, Malik said people of Mumbai are not interested in such "trailers."
"They (people of Mumbai) want to know when Mono and Metro railway will be available for actual usage of Mumbaikars," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH