Shegaon food poisoning: Woman foodgrains contractor held
Akola: A woman foodgrains contractor has been arrested in connection with the food poisoning incident involving 73 students of a government-run residential school for girls in Buldana district of Maharashtra, police said on Tuesday.
Pratibha Khillare, the foodgrain supply contractor, was arrested yesterday and booked under sections 272 (adulteration of food or drink intended for sale), 273 (sale of noxious food or drink) and 328 (causing hurt by means of poison) of the IPC besides two sections of Prevention of Food Adulteration Act.
The incident took place on July 28 night when students started complaining of stomach pain and vomiting. Two girls are undergoing treatment at Akola civil hospital.
A complaint in this regard was filed by Suhas Pankhas Nagapurkar, Assistant Commissioner of Social Welfare Department.
"The incharge of the hostel and the senior clerk A B Chavan has also been found prima facie guilty and the proposal to suspend him has been sent to commissioner Amravati," he said.
The hostel-cum-school, situated on Gaulkhed road, is run by Maharashtra Social Welfare and Social Justice Department where about 230 girl students, from class 5th to 9th, live and study.
The hostel staff had tried to dump the food on the day of the incident on July 28 but alert locals helped police to collect food samples.
Locals claimed that the food consumed by the children had caught fungus.
Meanwhile, Shiv Sena activists today beat up a teacher, identified as GS Gande who hails from Aasalgaon village, after they found him loitering on the hostel premises in an inebriated condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre