Shinde not keen on poll pact with NCP for Solapur
Solapur: Congress may not go for an alliance
with NCP for the Solapur Municipal Corporation elections
scheduled for February 16 with Union Power Minister
Sushilkumar Shinde, who hails from the city, showing no
interest in the proposal.
The Guardian Minister of Solapur and local NCP leader
Laxmanrao Dhobale had urged Shinde to hold talks with the NCP
to discuss seat sharing arrangements for the polls but Shinde
has not yet given positive response.
Party sources say that Shinde is mulling to go it alone
in the elections without the support of NCP.
Shinde was camping in the city for two days to attend
religious rituals but did not establish rapport with the NCP
leaders here over the issue.
"We have urged Shinde to initiate talks for alliance but
unfortunately we have not yet received any response. If Shinde
wishes to go alone in the SMC election, then we are ready for
that and will show our strength," Dhobale told reporters
The SMC has 102 seats in the house and out of that the
NCP has demanded 40. The Congress has 42 corporators while the
NCP has 14 in the present body.
"It is a local body election and I have left the issue
of alliance to the local leaders. They know the situation
better than me. We will decide soon whether to go hand in hand
with the NCP or fight it alone," Shinde had said on Saturday.
The NCP leaders here suspect that Shinde`s daughter
Praniti is not willing for an alliance with Congress.
They have warned that Shinde won the parliamentary
election from Solapur district with the help of NCP against
the BJP candidate.
"If he thinks that we are weak in the city, we will show
our strength in the Lok Sabha election," the NCP city unit
President Mahesh Gadekar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day