Shinde rejects probe into police investigation in German Bakery blast
New Delhi: In the wake of a raging controversy over Mirza Himayat Baig who was sentenced to death in connection with German Bakery blast in Pune, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Saturday said Maharashtra ATS might have gathered evidence on his involvement in the incident but ruled out ordering a probe into police investigation.
Baig was sentenced to death for his involvement in the German bakery blast after Maharashtra ATS filed a charge sheet against him claiming he had accompanied Indian Mujahideen co-founder Yasin Bhatkal to carry out the terror attack.
However, neither Delhi Police nor Bangalore Police mentions the presence of Baig in German Bakery blast.
The Delhi Police Special Cell said Bhatkal was with another terrorist Qateel Siddiqui. The Special cell has a confession from Siddiqui. The Bangalore Police has a similar confession from Siddiqui.
Shinde told reporters here today that "at this stage, nothing can be done. It is preliminary investigation. Unless the whole investigation is done, at this stage we cannot come to any conclusion".
Shinde, however, ruled out ordering a probe to find out the truth over the conflicting views of state police forces.
Siddiqui was killed in a prison in Pune in June 2012.
The Home Minister indicated if Baig is found innocent, no action will be taken against him.
"Whoever is innocent, no action will be taken against him. But when the action was taken, police might have got something at that time," he said, referring to the arrest of nine Muslims in 2006 Malegaon blast case.
The NIA had come to the conclusion that the Malegaon blast was the handiwork of right wing radical groups.
He had said at that time that the interrogation was done by Maharashtra ATS and now with the arrest of Yasin Bhatkal, further investigation will be done and more interrogation will be carried out which will bring to light more facts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre