Shinde rejects probe into police investigation in German Bakery blast
New Delhi: In the wake of a raging controversy over Mirza Himayat Baig who was sentenced to death in connection with German Bakery blast in Pune, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Saturday said Maharashtra ATS might have gathered evidence on his involvement in the incident but ruled out ordering a probe into police investigation.
Baig was sentenced to death for his involvement in the German bakery blast after Maharashtra ATS filed a charge sheet against him claiming he had accompanied Indian Mujahideen co-founder Yasin Bhatkal to carry out the terror attack.
However, neither Delhi Police nor Bangalore Police mentions the presence of Baig in German Bakery blast.
The Delhi Police Special Cell said Bhatkal was with another terrorist Qateel Siddiqui. The Special cell has a confession from Siddiqui. The Bangalore Police has a similar confession from Siddiqui.
Shinde told reporters here today that "at this stage, nothing can be done. It is preliminary investigation. Unless the whole investigation is done, at this stage we cannot come to any conclusion".
Shinde, however, ruled out ordering a probe to find out the truth over the conflicting views of state police forces.
Siddiqui was killed in a prison in Pune in June 2012.
The Home Minister indicated if Baig is found innocent, no action will be taken against him.
"Whoever is innocent, no action will be taken against him. But when the action was taken, police might have got something at that time," he said, referring to the arrest of nine Muslims in 2006 Malegaon blast case.
The NIA had come to the conclusion that the Malegaon blast was the handiwork of right wing radical groups.
He had said at that time that the interrogation was done by Maharashtra ATS and now with the arrest of Yasin Bhatkal, further investigation will be done and more interrogation will be carried out which will bring to light more facts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees