Shirdi airport `bhumipujan` by month-end: Maha CM Chavan
Mumbai: Devotees of Sai Baba will soon be able to fly to Shirdi in Ahmednagar district with the ground-breaking ceremony of the Rs 260 crore airport project taking place by the month-end, Maharashtra CM Ashok Chavan said here on Saturday.
"The bhumipujan (ground-breaking ceremony) will be
performed by August 27," Chavan told reporters at his official
residence `Varsha` this evening. The project is expected to be
completed in two years.
The Maharashtra Airport Development Company is developing
the airport on 500 acres of land, around three km from the
popular shrine, spread across Sonewadi and Savalivihirbudruk
Five to six airlines have evinced interest in starting
air services to Shirdi.
The project is being implemented by the state government,
the Shirdi temple sansthan and donations from devotees.
Over 50,000 devotees visit Shirdi daily. A direct rail
service to Shirdi from Mumbai will also commence by the
month-end, Chavan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH