Shirdi: Farmers demand water from Nilwande dam
Shirdi: Thousands of farmers gathered at the Nirmal Pimpari village here today and staged a road blockade demanding opening of canals from Nilwande dam to provide water to the scarcity-hit eastern region of Maharashtra.
Thousands of vehicles were halted following the blockade on Ahmednagar-Manmad road, police said.
Senior NCP leader and former cooperation minister Shankar Rao Kolhe led the farmers stir.
Kolhe alleged that the government has made provision of Rs 65 crores for the said project but actually the project required Rs 1500 crore.
Also an action committee with 16 members has been formed to look into the matter, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- When a professor sexually abused a girl in classroom; watch other students' reaction
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi