Shirdi: Farmers demand water from Nilwande dam
Shirdi: Thousands of farmers gathered at the Nirmal Pimpari village here today and staged a road blockade demanding opening of canals from Nilwande dam to provide water to the scarcity-hit eastern region of Maharashtra.
Thousands of vehicles were halted following the blockade on Ahmednagar-Manmad road, police said.
Senior NCP leader and former cooperation minister Shankar Rao Kolhe led the farmers stir.
Kolhe alleged that the government has made provision of Rs 65 crores for the said project but actually the project required Rs 1500 crore.
Also an action committee with 16 members has been formed to look into the matter, he said.
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- L&T Finance terminates over 500 employees citing poor performance
- Illegal mining scam: BJP Karnataka president Yeddyurappa becomes teary-eyed in CBI court
- Adorable! This cute baby goes to bed with his best mate dog – Watch video
- Supreme Court to consider NEET exemption applications on Tuesday
- Delhi, Jammu, Shimla see hottest day of season; Telangana toll 178