Shiv Sainiks will decide on Bal Thackeray`s memorial: Uddhav
Mumbai: Appealing for restrain over the debate on erecting a memorial for his late father and Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray, party executive president Uddhav Thackeray on Tuesday said, the decision in this regard will be taken by lakhs of Sainiks.
"This is not the time to argue on the issue of memorial. A tragedy has befallen the Thackeray family and the extended family of Shiv Sena has not recovered from this terrible loss. Those arguing against the memorial should take our sentiments into consideration. Those arguing should help us to maintain restrain," Uddhav said in a statement here.
"The crowd of 25 lakh supporters who attended the funeral of the Sena chief behaved in a disciplined manner. I appreciate their restrain," he said.
With the voices in favour and against the Sena patriarch`s memorial getting louder, Uddhav said, "the decision on the memorial will be taken by these lakhs of followers. I will not come in between the Sena chief and the shiv sainiks".
Both Congress and NCP are treading cautiously on the memorial issue.
State Congress president Manikrao Thakre had said that it was up to the government to take a decision on permitting a memorial.
"If the government seeks the state Congress view, I will give it to the the authorities," he added.
NCP spokesperson Nawab Malik said since the Shivaji Park ground, where Thackeray was cremated on Sunday, falls under the jurisdiction of Shiv Sena-BJP-controlled Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) "it is upto them to take a decision".
Maharashtra Government has said that it would "positively consider" the proposal for memorial if the demand was made.
However, Shivaji Park resident organisations have opposed the move.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'