Shiv Sena backs DIG Paraskar, says it has become fashionable to level rape charges
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
Mumbai: The Shiv Sena on Saturday came out in support of senior IPS officer, DIG Sunil Paraskar, who has been accused of rape by a city-based model.
In an editorial in its mouthpiece `Saamna`, the Shiv Sena asked whether it has become fashionable these days to level rape charges.
"Cases of charging men with molestation and rape in hi-fi societies to create hype is on a rise now. It has almost become a fashion. After he has served for so many years in the police force, one model now charges DIG Sunil Praskar with rape and in one night he becomes a villain. Such accusations have become good weapons to seek personal revenge," the party said.
"New laws were made after the shameful Nirbhaya incident, but have cases of rape decreased?" it asked.
"When the truth has to come out, it will. But till then the media trial the accused has to go through damages his morale," it said.
"All the laws in the country favour women so anyone can slap any charge against anyone. The judicial system has to open its eyes and ensure that justice is served to the innocent," the edit said.
The Sena mouthpiece questioned the model`s intentions to file rape charges against the DIG when everything between the two "was fine" till now.
"What is the model`s background ? How did she suddenly make a rape accusation when everything between them was fine until now? This question comes to the mind of a common man but the police investigation seems to ignore these questions," it said.
The party also asked why did it take so long for the model to file the case, as a woman who has been subjected to such a torture will not be able to wait for so long to get justice.
"This model filed charges after six months.... We have to remember after the unfortunate rape incident at Shakti mills, the victim filed her complaint in a couple of hours. No woman will be able to bear this inhuman treatment on her for even a minute. She would file a complaint immediately," the Sena said.
The editorial noted that a jump has been recorded in cases that are sensationalised by levelling allegations of eve-teasing and rape.
Paraskar, who had filed an anticipatory bail plea before a sessions court, had been granted interim protection from arrest till July 31.
Paraskar`s lawyer Rizwan Merchant had told the court that the complainant had been once booked by the police under the Prevention of Immoral Trafficking Act on the charge of running an escort service.
"This complaint was filed to avenge the registration of case," his lawyer alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'