Shiv Sena-BJP alliance retains power in Aurangabad
Aurangabad: The Shiv Sena-BJP alliance
has retained power in the Aurangabad Municipal Corporation
(AMC) by winning the election held yesterday.
Counting of votes held today, a day after the polling.
Sena-BJP bagged 45 seats whereas the Congress-NCP-SPA front
had to be satisfied with 33 seats. The saffron alliance is all
set to form the next governance of the body with the support
of few independents.
Elections were held for 98 seats out of a total of 99
seats. One seat was won by Congress (Nehrunagar, Abdus
Sajid Abdus Sattar) unopposed. Shiv Sena emerged as the
largest party with 31 seats and its alliance partner, BJP
bagged 14. Congress won 19, NCP-11 and its ally, Shahar
Pragati Aghadi, SPA won three seats. MNS opened its account
and could get just one seat.
Independent candidates emerged victorious in 17 wards.
Others including RPI bagged three seats. In last AMC polls,
Shiv Sena had just 25 seats and BJP-21. Notably, son of MP
Chandrakant Khaire, Rishikesh lost the election.
Around 60 per cent voters out of a total of 7,00,223
voters, exercised their franchise to decide the fate of 816
candidates at 618 booths. 3,800 election officers and
employees were pressed into service and 4,000 police and
security personnel were deployed to ensure peaceful voting. 60
video cameras were also affixed at voting booths.
After the election results were declared, workers of
the winners and loser candidates scuffled in Kiradpura area.
Incidents of stone pelting were also reported. Police sources
said that though the incidents of violence were witnessed in
Kiradpur, no complaint was lodged and no arrests were made
till late in the afternoon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test