Shiv Sena borne expenses of Thackeray`s funeral: Mayor
Mumbai: Mumbai Mayor Sunil Prabhu on Wednesday rejected the reports that civic body Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) spent taxpayers` money on the funeral of Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray in November last year.
"Shiv Sena borne all the expenses made during Thackeray`s final rites," Prabhu, who belongs to Shiv Sena, said, but conceded that BMC spent money for installing CCTV cameras.
G-North ward officer has sought standing committee`s nod for Rs 4.99 lakh spent on installation of CCTV cameras and LED screens during the late leader`s funeral procession and last rites. The matter will be discussed at committee`s meeting later this week.
"Anticipating that scores of people would turn up to seek glimpse of Bal Thackeray from across the state and across the country, deputy commissioner of police Dhananjay Kulkarni had ordered to install cameras and LED screens for security purpose. This was done as per state government`s order. All the funeral expenditures were borne by Shiv Sena," Prabhu said.
He also said it was not the first time the BMC had installed CCTV cameras. "We do it during Ganeshotsav and other festivals. So, there is nothing new in it," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das