Shiv Sena borne expenses of Thackeray`s funeral: Mayor
Mumbai: Mumbai Mayor Sunil Prabhu on Wednesday rejected the reports that civic body Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) spent taxpayers` money on the funeral of Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray in November last year.
"Shiv Sena borne all the expenses made during Thackeray`s final rites," Prabhu, who belongs to Shiv Sena, said, but conceded that BMC spent money for installing CCTV cameras.
G-North ward officer has sought standing committee`s nod for Rs 4.99 lakh spent on installation of CCTV cameras and LED screens during the late leader`s funeral procession and last rites. The matter will be discussed at committee`s meeting later this week.
"Anticipating that scores of people would turn up to seek glimpse of Bal Thackeray from across the state and across the country, deputy commissioner of police Dhananjay Kulkarni had ordered to install cameras and LED screens for security purpose. This was done as per state government`s order. All the funeral expenditures were borne by Shiv Sena," Prabhu said.
He also said it was not the first time the BMC had installed CCTV cameras. "We do it during Ganeshotsav and other festivals. So, there is nothing new in it," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown