Shiv Sena borne expenses of Thackeray`s funeral: Mayor
Mumbai: Mumbai Mayor Sunil Prabhu on Wednesday rejected the reports that civic body Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) spent taxpayers` money on the funeral of Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray in November last year.
"Shiv Sena borne all the expenses made during Thackeray`s final rites," Prabhu, who belongs to Shiv Sena, said, but conceded that BMC spent money for installing CCTV cameras.
G-North ward officer has sought standing committee`s nod for Rs 4.99 lakh spent on installation of CCTV cameras and LED screens during the late leader`s funeral procession and last rites. The matter will be discussed at committee`s meeting later this week.
"Anticipating that scores of people would turn up to seek glimpse of Bal Thackeray from across the state and across the country, deputy commissioner of police Dhananjay Kulkarni had ordered to install cameras and LED screens for security purpose. This was done as per state government`s order. All the funeral expenditures were borne by Shiv Sena," Prabhu said.
He also said it was not the first time the BMC had installed CCTV cameras. "We do it during Ganeshotsav and other festivals. So, there is nothing new in it," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!