Shiv Sena borne expenses of Thackeray`s funeral: Mayor
Mumbai: Mumbai Mayor Sunil Prabhu on Wednesday rejected the reports that civic body Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) spent taxpayers` money on the funeral of Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray in November last year.
"Shiv Sena borne all the expenses made during Thackeray`s final rites," Prabhu, who belongs to Shiv Sena, said, but conceded that BMC spent money for installing CCTV cameras.
G-North ward officer has sought standing committee`s nod for Rs 4.99 lakh spent on installation of CCTV cameras and LED screens during the late leader`s funeral procession and last rites. The matter will be discussed at committee`s meeting later this week.
"Anticipating that scores of people would turn up to seek glimpse of Bal Thackeray from across the state and across the country, deputy commissioner of police Dhananjay Kulkarni had ordered to install cameras and LED screens for security purpose. This was done as per state government`s order. All the funeral expenditures were borne by Shiv Sena," Prabhu said.
He also said it was not the first time the BMC had installed CCTV cameras. "We do it during Ganeshotsav and other festivals. So, there is nothing new in it," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...