Shiv Sena borne expenses of Thackeray`s funeral: Mayor
Mumbai: Mumbai Mayor Sunil Prabhu on Wednesday rejected the reports that civic body Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) spent taxpayers` money on the funeral of Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray in November last year.
"Shiv Sena borne all the expenses made during Thackeray`s final rites," Prabhu, who belongs to Shiv Sena, said, but conceded that BMC spent money for installing CCTV cameras.
G-North ward officer has sought standing committee`s nod for Rs 4.99 lakh spent on installation of CCTV cameras and LED screens during the late leader`s funeral procession and last rites. The matter will be discussed at committee`s meeting later this week.
"Anticipating that scores of people would turn up to seek glimpse of Bal Thackeray from across the state and across the country, deputy commissioner of police Dhananjay Kulkarni had ordered to install cameras and LED screens for security purpose. This was done as per state government`s order. All the funeral expenditures were borne by Shiv Sena," Prabhu said.
He also said it was not the first time the BMC had installed CCTV cameras. "We do it during Ganeshotsav and other festivals. So, there is nothing new in it," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof