Shiv Sena demands public hanging for Kasab
Mumbai: Shiv Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray on Wednesday demanded public hanging for Ajmal Kasab, the only Pakistani terrorist caught alive after the 26/11 Mumbai strike that claimed 166 lives.
He also wanted to know why Afzal Guru, a 2001 parliament attack convict on death row, should not be hanged immediately.
"Why should enemies of the state be shown any mercy or leniency," Thackeray demanded here after the Supreme Court upheld the death sentence awarded to Kasab.
Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil hoped that the Supreme Court verdict would be "implemented as early as possible" and lauded the role played by Indian Police Service officer Rakesh Maria, the anti-terrorism squad and other state and central agencies which helped investigate the case.
Joint Police Commissioner Himanshu Roy termed the apex court verdict as "an important milestone in the fight against terrorism" and vowed that the Mumbai police`s war against terror would continue as ever.
He also remembered the martyrs of the 26/11 terror attacks and said that the day`s development would not have been possible if Kasab had not been nabbed alive by the officers who sacrificed their lives in the process.
Yasmin, the wife of co-accused Faheem Ansari whose acquittal was upheld by the apex court, expressed happiness over the development.
"The terror tag on him has been erased," Yasmin, with tears of joy trickling, told reporters.
Ansari, along with Sabauddin Ahmed, who were alleged to be the conspirators in the 26/11 attack, were earlier acquitted by the special trial court and the Bombay High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog