Shiv Sena demands public hanging for Kasab
Mumbai: Shiv Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray on Wednesday demanded public hanging for Ajmal Kasab, the only Pakistani terrorist caught alive after the 26/11 Mumbai strike that claimed 166 lives.
He also wanted to know why Afzal Guru, a 2001 parliament attack convict on death row, should not be hanged immediately.
"Why should enemies of the state be shown any mercy or leniency," Thackeray demanded here after the Supreme Court upheld the death sentence awarded to Kasab.
Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil hoped that the Supreme Court verdict would be "implemented as early as possible" and lauded the role played by Indian Police Service officer Rakesh Maria, the anti-terrorism squad and other state and central agencies which helped investigate the case.
Joint Police Commissioner Himanshu Roy termed the apex court verdict as "an important milestone in the fight against terrorism" and vowed that the Mumbai police`s war against terror would continue as ever.
He also remembered the martyrs of the 26/11 terror attacks and said that the day`s development would not have been possible if Kasab had not been nabbed alive by the officers who sacrificed their lives in the process.
Yasmin, the wife of co-accused Faheem Ansari whose acquittal was upheld by the apex court, expressed happiness over the development.
"The terror tag on him has been erased," Yasmin, with tears of joy trickling, told reporters.
Ansari, along with Sabauddin Ahmed, who were alleged to be the conspirators in the 26/11 attack, were earlier acquitted by the special trial court and the Bombay High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official