Shiv Sena divided over shifting Thackeray`s makeshift memorial
Mumbai: Divergent statements emerged on Monday from Shiv Sena over shifting of the makeshift memorial which has come up at the spot at Shivaji Park where party chief Bal Thackeray was cremated a month ago.
While one Sena leader said BMC, the local civic body, should provide alternative site for the structure, another said party Executive President Uddhav Thackeray will keep his word given to Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on its shifting.
"We want a written assurance from BMC (on alternate arrangement) to shift the makeshift memorial. Discussions in this regard are on with Sena Executive President Uddhav Thackeray," party leader Sada Sarawankar told reporters.
However, senior Sena leader Ramdas Kadam, who today paid homage at the site, where Thackeray was consigned to flames on November 18, said, "Uddhavji will keep his word given to the Chief Minister (on removal of the memorial)."
Putting the onus on the Sena Executive President to take a call on the issue, Kadam, a legislator, said, "Uddhavji is now our family head and he will take the final decision. He will not backtrack from word he has given to Chavan."
Sources close to Uddhav told a news agency that the temporary memorial would be shifted tomorrow.
"The civic body should make alternate arrangement in this regard taking into consideration sentiments of the people," they added.
Senior Sena leader and Rajya Sabha MP Sanjay Raut had last week said the site in Central Mumbai, which has become a pilgrim site for the Shiv Sainiks and Thackeray`s supporters, may be shifted on December 17.
Early this month, BMC had asked Sena to remove the structure from Shivaji Park, a place closely associated with the over four decades old history of the party.
BMC officials were not available for comment.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference