Shiv Sena for spl package to drought-hit Maha
New Delhi: Shiv Sena on Wednesday sought a special financial package for drought-hit Maharashtra saying the state was heading towards a scenario where there would be riots for a drop of water.
Raising the issue in Rajya Sabha during Zero Hour, Bharatkumar Raut said the drought situation in Maharashtra was so grim that everyday "350 families from different parts of the state were taking refuge in Mumbai".
"Yesterday, MPs from Maharashtra met the Prime Minister with the hope that government will announce some financial package but we were given assurance that government will look into it," he said demanding immediate relief package.
People in Vidarbha and other regions have to walk 10 km to fetch water and if the situation continues "sooner of later there would be riots for a drop of water," he feared.
Raut said people were selling their livestock as they were unable to feed them and sought immediate relief.
Almost entire opposition associated with the demand.
Raising another issue, Tarun Vijay (BJP) demanded that the Centre should enter into a dialogue with agitating citizens and Buddhist monks in Arunachal Pradesh who were opposing power projects in Tawang and warned that it could lead to a violent agitation if not handled properly.
He said people in Tawang were opposing power projects despite pacts for 30,000 MW schemes and demanded that the Centre should send a minister to dispel fears that China was inciting the local population there against the projects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?