Shiv Sena leader booked for violating noise limit
Mumbai: A case was registered against an organiser of the Shiv Sena`s Dussehra rally for violating the noise level limit laid down by the Bombay High Court, police said here Saturday.
"A case has been registered against Shiv Sena leader Diwakar Borkar, who had sought permission for the Dussehra rally at Shivji Park (in Dadar in central Mumbai) for violating the rules, 2000," an officer said.
However, police is still looking into the matter and Borkar has not been arrested yet.
Shiv Sena, at its annual Dussehra rally Wednesday, had grossly violated the noise level conditions. The noise level report filed by activist Sumaira Abdulali pointed out that the noise level was at its highest at 88 decibels during the speech of Mumbai Mayor Sunil Prabhu, while the noise of the drums during the procession outside the ground was at 98 decibels.
The permissible limit is only 50 decibels.
The court had directed Abdulali, the convenor of Awaaz Foundation, to monitor the decibel levels at Shivaji Park during the rally and report findings to the court.
Abdulali said that the noise levels during the speeches not only rose and far exceeded those permitted by the Noise Pollution Rules for a Silence Zone, they were also higher than those at last year`s rally.
The Bombay High Court had, on Oct 15, granted conditional permission to the Shiv Sena to organise its traditional Dussehra rally at Shivaji Park in Dadar in central Mumbai.
A division bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice N.M. Jamdar also made it clear that the Sena would have to look for a new venue next year onwards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video