Shiv Sena leader calls Mumbai a ‘dirty city’
Mumbai: Stating that unauthorised slums in the metropolis are creating big problems, senior Shiv Sena leader and former Maharashtra chief minister ON Monday called Mumbai a "dirty city".
"Mumbai is a dirty city today. Many people who live here have no civic sense," Joshi, who was also Mumbai city`s former mayor, said during an interactive programme - `Mumbai`s Development: Shiv Sena`s perspective".
He, however, refrained from holding the Shiv Sena responsible for the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation`s (BMC) state of affairs, though his party has held power at the corporation in alliance with its coalition partner BJP for more than two decades.
"Mumbai is not a planned city. It is a disorganised one," he said.
He said those living in the city for a minimum of 15 years should be given jobs.
"Slums, illegal encroachments and influx of people are the main problems," he said, adding MLAs and councillors who protect illegal slums and encroachments must be disqualified immediately.
"Utility services must be denied to slums and massive land banks with the Mumbai Port Trust and salt pans utilised for extensive development of the city," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof