Shiv Sena MLA demands withdrawal of book for promoting `gender bias`
Thane: A Shiv Sena MLA on Wednesday requested the Maharashtra Assembly Speaker to direct the state government to withdraw from circulation a Marathi book, saying it was promoting "gender bias".
Vivek Pandit made a special mention on the floor of the Lower House seeking a ban on the book titled "Mulgach Kasa Hoil" (How to get a male baby?) by V V Chowdhary.
Pandit, who represents Vasai constituency in Thane district, said the book was in violation of the Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Technique (PCPNDT) Act in the backdrop of growing number of female foeticide cases in some parts of the state.
"Even four months after Joint Director of State Health Services and Family Welfare Department wrote to Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) to take further action against the publisher for alleged violation of the Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Technique (PCPNDT) Act, nothing has happened on ground," he said.
Pandit requested the Speaker to direct the state government to ensure that the book is withdrawn from circulation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Parliament video: Speaker forms 9-member probe panel, asks Bhagwant Mann not to attend House
- Impressed with Narendra Modi; India is in safe hands under his government - Praises by RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat
- ‘Wanted’ duo Salman Khan – Prabhudheva to team up again?
- NASA's Viking mission data to unfold Mars' mystery
- Kolkata: Boy found killed after party at Amit Chaudhuri's house, author denies knowing him