Shiv Sena, MNS shutdowns in Raigad, Thane
Mumbai: Parts of Thane and the entire Raigad district, both adjacent to Mumbai, observed a shutdown Thursday to protest some local issues, including the theft of a temple idol, officials said. Tight security was in place.
Raigad is observing a Shiv Sena-sponsored shutdown to highlight the theft of a 1.5 kg gold Ganesh idol from a temple in Diveagar last Sunday.
The Sena said though nearly a week has passed, the authorities have not succeeded in nabbing the culprits.
Police, on the other hand, have claimed that the CCTV footage has captured the images of the suspects and they would be caught soon.
The shutdown was near-total with people participating wholeheartedly in the agitation over the temple idol theft. Cabs and other public transport also remained off the road.
In the northwest parts of Thane like Vasai, Virar, Nalla-Sopara and other townships, people took part in a Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS)-led shutdown on various issues, including a hike in fuel prices, the proposed new motor vehicle tax proposed in this year`s state budget proposals, and inflation hitting the masses.
All autorickshaws, taxis and other vehicles remained off the road, inconveniencing office-goers and students, though the shutdown remained peaceful.
Suburban train services serving Mumbai with Thane and Raigad were running normally, though with few commuters on board.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India