Shiv Sena, MNS shutdowns in Raigad, Thane
Mumbai: Parts of Thane and the entire Raigad district, both adjacent to Mumbai, observed a shutdown Thursday to protest some local issues, including the theft of a temple idol, officials said. Tight security was in place.
Raigad is observing a Shiv Sena-sponsored shutdown to highlight the theft of a 1.5 kg gold Ganesh idol from a temple in Diveagar last Sunday.
The Sena said though nearly a week has passed, the authorities have not succeeded in nabbing the culprits.
Police, on the other hand, have claimed that the CCTV footage has captured the images of the suspects and they would be caught soon.
The shutdown was near-total with people participating wholeheartedly in the agitation over the temple idol theft. Cabs and other public transport also remained off the road.
In the northwest parts of Thane like Vasai, Virar, Nalla-Sopara and other townships, people took part in a Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS)-led shutdown on various issues, including a hike in fuel prices, the proposed new motor vehicle tax proposed in this year`s state budget proposals, and inflation hitting the masses.
All autorickshaws, taxis and other vehicles remained off the road, inconveniencing office-goers and students, though the shutdown remained peaceful.
Suburban train services serving Mumbai with Thane and Raigad were running normally, though with few commuters on board.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?