Shiv Sena, NCP men come to blows over TMT chairman election
Thane: The ruling Shiv Sena and opposition NCP members in the Thane Municipal Corporation came to blows this afternoon over the issue of filing nominations for the Chairmanship of the Thane Municipal Transport (TMT) Committee, here on Wednesday.
A piquant situation prevailed in the civic headquarters today for more than an hour during the free for all between supporters of the Shiv Sena and the NCP.
Today was the day for filing of nomination papers for elections to the post of the Chairman of the TMT Committee which will be held on Monday.
The Shiv Sena member in the TMT Committee Sailesh Bhagat had sought nomination for its chairmanship which was refused by the ruling Shiv Sena.
Hence, he crossed over to the NCP and came to the civic headquarters to file nominations along with hundreds of his supporters.
As the message spread, a large number of Shiv Sainiks rushed to the civic headquarters and attempted to prevent him from filing his nomination. Bhagat had to turn back, only to reappear and file his nomination.
Meanwhile, Sena and NCP corporators came to blows and damaged at least a dozen cars parked in the corporation premises, after which security was beefed up, with the State Reserve Police (SRP) arriving, to assist the local police.
Presently, the partywise position in the TMT Committee is one member each of the NCP, the Congress and the BJP and three members of the Shiv Sena, besides the Chairman of the Standing Committee.
Now that one Sena member has crossed over to the NCP, the Sena is short by one
member and the BJP member Ajay Joshi is expected to play a decisive role in the elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum