Shiv Sena, NCP men come to blows over TMT chairman election
Thane: The ruling Shiv Sena and opposition NCP members in the Thane Municipal Corporation came to blows this afternoon over the issue of filing nominations for the Chairmanship of the Thane Municipal Transport (TMT) Committee, here on Wednesday.
A piquant situation prevailed in the civic headquarters today for more than an hour during the free for all between supporters of the Shiv Sena and the NCP.
Today was the day for filing of nomination papers for elections to the post of the Chairman of the TMT Committee which will be held on Monday.
The Shiv Sena member in the TMT Committee Sailesh Bhagat had sought nomination for its chairmanship which was refused by the ruling Shiv Sena.
Hence, he crossed over to the NCP and came to the civic headquarters to file nominations along with hundreds of his supporters.
As the message spread, a large number of Shiv Sainiks rushed to the civic headquarters and attempted to prevent him from filing his nomination. Bhagat had to turn back, only to reappear and file his nomination.
Meanwhile, Sena and NCP corporators came to blows and damaged at least a dozen cars parked in the corporation premises, after which security was beefed up, with the State Reserve Police (SRP) arriving, to assist the local police.
Presently, the partywise position in the TMT Committee is one member each of the NCP, the Congress and the BJP and three members of the Shiv Sena, besides the Chairman of the Standing Committee.
Now that one Sena member has crossed over to the NCP, the Sena is short by one
member and the BJP member Ajay Joshi is expected to play a decisive role in the elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city