Shiv Sena, NCP win in Maharashtra civic polls
Mumbai: The Shiv Sena-Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) alliance won control of the Aurangabad and Badlapur civic bodies while the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) retained the Navi Mumbai civic body, the results for which were announced Monday.
But the Sena-BJP combine failed to wrest control of the Ambernath civic body where Raj Thackeray`s Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) and a large number of independents are expected to play the role of kingmaker.
The Congress and the BJP put up a poor show in the four municipal elections held Sunday. Both parties barely managed to stay afloat, with only one seat going to Congress in Badlapur and BJP in Navi Mumbai.
The NCP has retained the Navi Mumbai municipality and the Shiv Sena-BJP Aurangabad and Badlapur. There was no clear winner in Ambernath, where the MNS and independents have emerged as a strong group.
NAVI MUMBAI: In the Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation (NMMC), the NCP scored a hat-trick bagging 55 seats while its ally Congress got a mere 13.
From the opposition, the Shiv Sena got 16 seats and its ally BJP a single seat. Four independents won in the 89-strong house.
AURANGABAD: In the Aurangabad Municipal Corporation, the Shiv Sena (30) and BJP (15) continued their unbroken reign of the past 25 years, winning for the sixth consecutive time.
The Congress-NCP and other allies jointly contested the elections. Chief Minister Ashok Chavan campaigned there in a bid to dislodge the SS-BJP.
The Congress finished with 19 seats, NCP 11 and MNS one seat. Independents and others got a whopping 23 seats in the 99-member house.
BADLAPUR: The Shiv Sena-BJP managed to retain the 34-member Badlapur Municipal Council (in Thane district) by bagging 12 and 7 seats respectively against the Congress` single seat show and NCP`s 10 seats. The MNS got three seats while one seat went to an independent.
AMBERNATH: The Shiv Sena-BJP could not retain the 50-member Ambernath Municipal Council (also in Thane district). Though Sena emerged the single largest party with 16 seats, the BJP got only one seat.
The Congress got three seats, NCP nine and MNS six seats. Independents and others emerged as the scond largest group bagging 15 seats.
With no clear winner in Ambernath, the MNS and independents hold the key to the Sena-BJP`s prospects of returning to power in the civic body.
The city and party-wise tally of seats:
NAVI MUMBAI TOTAL 89
AURANGABAD TOTAL 99
AMBERNATH TOTAL 50
BADLAPUR TOTAL 34
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in