Shiv Sena pays Rs 5 lakh for Bal Thackeray`s funeral expenses
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: Annoyed by the reports of using civic funds to pay for Bal Thackeray`s funeral last year, the Shiv Sena on Thursday sent a Rs 5 lakh cheque to Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation to cover the funeral expenses.
Mumbai Mayor Sunil Prabhu rejected the reports that BMC spent taxpayers` money on the funeral of Bal Thackeray in November last year.
Sunil Prabhu said in a statement that the party had agreed to bear all the expenses connected with the funeral.
He refuted recent reports suggesting that the civic body was attempting to burden the citizens of Mumbai by bearing the funeral expenses for the late Shiv Sena chief.
To ensure everything went off peacefully, the MCGM and Mumbai police had, at short notice, made massive arrangements like barricades, installing CCTVs at various locations en route to the funeral and at Shivaji Park, erecting giant LCD screens to enable all people view the ceremonies and other details.
Bal Thackeray died last year due to prolonged illness. The cremation ceremony happened in the presence of around 20 two million people.
Over 20,000 policemen, 15 companies of State Reserve Police Force and three contingents of Rapid Action Force were deployed on the procession route.
A contingent of Mumbai police had given a 21-gun salute and buglers sounded the last post in the state funeral, a rare honour for someone who had never held any official position.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'