Shiv Sena pays Rs 5 lakh for Bal Thackeray`s funeral expenses
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: Annoyed by the reports of using civic funds to pay for Bal Thackeray`s funeral last year, the Shiv Sena on Thursday sent a Rs 5 lakh cheque to Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation to cover the funeral expenses.
Mumbai Mayor Sunil Prabhu rejected the reports that BMC spent taxpayers` money on the funeral of Bal Thackeray in November last year.
Sunil Prabhu said in a statement that the party had agreed to bear all the expenses connected with the funeral.
He refuted recent reports suggesting that the civic body was attempting to burden the citizens of Mumbai by bearing the funeral expenses for the late Shiv Sena chief.
To ensure everything went off peacefully, the MCGM and Mumbai police had, at short notice, made massive arrangements like barricades, installing CCTVs at various locations en route to the funeral and at Shivaji Park, erecting giant LCD screens to enable all people view the ceremonies and other details.
Bal Thackeray died last year due to prolonged illness. The cremation ceremony happened in the presence of around 20 two million people.
Over 20,000 policemen, 15 companies of State Reserve Police Force and three contingents of Rapid Action Force were deployed on the procession route.
A contingent of Mumbai police had given a 21-gun salute and buglers sounded the last post in the state funeral, a rare honour for someone who had never held any official position.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video