Shiv Sena removes Bal Thackeray memorial from Shivaji Park
Mumbai: After a long tussle with the Maharashtra government, the Shiv Sena early Tuesday removed the temporary Bal Thackeray memorial at Shivaji Park.
As per reports, the party began shifting the memorial last night and completed work early this morning.
"Yes, early this morning, we have removed the urn containing Balasaheb`s ashes and other things, and vacated the cremation site," senior party leader Rahul Shewale said.
The party had earlier said that it will not shift the temporary structure, where party founder Bal Thackeray was cremated last month.
The state government had categorically told the Shiv Sena that the makeshift memorial will have to be moved from Shivaji Park.
The development came following a Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) notice to the party. The memorial will now be shifted to another location and the party is in talks with the BMC to find the same.
Last Thursday, the party had in its mouthpiece `Saamnaa` said that it will move the structure to the outskirts of the Shivaji Park.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan had earlier given a stern message to the Shiv Sena, asking them to vacate the Shivaji Park.
"Shivaji Park was given for Bal Thackeray`s cremation on the grounds that it will be returned in the same condition. We want the Shiv Sena to abide by the conditions and follow the law," Chavan had said.
Bal Thackeray, who died on November 17, was accorded a state public funeral at Shivaji Park ground in South Mumbai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened