Shiv Sena to distribute knives to ‘empower’ women
Mumbai: On the occasion of Shiv Sena founder Bal Thackeray‘s birth anniversary on Wednesday, some Shakhas of the Shiv Sena will distribute knives to women to ‘empower’ them.
Sena leaders behind the move say that the idea to distribute knives to women emerged from their view that the government had failed to provide security to women. The knives will empower women and provide them security, they feel.
A news channel quoted a Sena leader as saying, “Bal Thackeray used to say women should prefer a Rampuri in their purse rather than a lipstick."
The knives that are to be distributed are of Chinese make and have a retractable three inch blade. A knife with less than 6 inch blade is allowed as per law.
However, it appears that the ‘distribute knife’ campaign is being organised at the local level without the top leadership in the know.
Today is an important day for the Sena as Uddhav Thackeray is set to be formally anointed as the party chief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Merkel 'firmly' rejects reversing refugee policy after attacks
- Delhi government schools to hold first-ever parents-teachers meeting
- Faircent acclaimed ‘Interbrand Breakthrough Brand in Finance’ by Interbrand
- No concrete evidence on missing AN-32, says Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar
- Confirmed: Apple iPhone 7 pre-orders to start September 9