Shiv Sena to distribute knives to ‘empower’ women
Mumbai: On the occasion of Shiv Sena founder Bal Thackeray‘s birth anniversary on Wednesday, some Shakhas of the Shiv Sena will distribute knives to women to ‘empower’ them.
Sena leaders behind the move say that the idea to distribute knives to women emerged from their view that the government had failed to provide security to women. The knives will empower women and provide them security, they feel.
A news channel quoted a Sena leader as saying, “Bal Thackeray used to say women should prefer a Rampuri in their purse rather than a lipstick."
The knives that are to be distributed are of Chinese make and have a retractable three inch blade. A knife with less than 6 inch blade is allowed as per law.
However, it appears that the ‘distribute knife’ campaign is being organised at the local level without the top leadership in the know.
Today is an important day for the Sena as Uddhav Thackeray is set to be formally anointed as the party chief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez