Shiv Sena to distribute knives to ‘empower’ women
Mumbai: On the occasion of Shiv Sena founder Bal Thackeray‘s birth anniversary on Wednesday, some Shakhas of the Shiv Sena will distribute knives to women to ‘empower’ them.
Sena leaders behind the move say that the idea to distribute knives to women emerged from their view that the government had failed to provide security to women. The knives will empower women and provide them security, they feel.
A news channel quoted a Sena leader as saying, “Bal Thackeray used to say women should prefer a Rampuri in their purse rather than a lipstick."
The knives that are to be distributed are of Chinese make and have a retractable three inch blade. A knife with less than 6 inch blade is allowed as per law.
However, it appears that the ‘distribute knife’ campaign is being organised at the local level without the top leadership in the know.
Today is an important day for the Sena as Uddhav Thackeray is set to be formally anointed as the party chief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city