Shiv Sena to distribute knives to ‘empower’ women
Mumbai: On the occasion of Shiv Sena founder Bal Thackeray‘s birth anniversary on Wednesday, some Shakhas of the Shiv Sena will distribute knives to women to ‘empower’ them.
Sena leaders behind the move say that the idea to distribute knives to women emerged from their view that the government had failed to provide security to women. The knives will empower women and provide them security, they feel.
A news channel quoted a Sena leader as saying, “Bal Thackeray used to say women should prefer a Rampuri in their purse rather than a lipstick."
The knives that are to be distributed are of Chinese make and have a retractable three inch blade. A knife with less than 6 inch blade is allowed as per law.
However, it appears that the ‘distribute knife’ campaign is being organised at the local level without the top leadership in the know.
Today is an important day for the Sena as Uddhav Thackeray is set to be formally anointed as the party chief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- When a professor sexually abused a girl in classroom; watch other students' reaction
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi