Shiv Sena wants Bal Thackeray memorial at Shivaji Park
Mumbai: A day after Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray mortal remains were consigned to flames, his son Uddhav Thackeray visited Shivaji Park on Monday to collect his father’s ashes.
However, the Shiv Sena kicked up another possible controversy by demanding that a memorial be built in honour of Bal Thackeray at Shivaji Park, which already has a memorial dedicated to Maratha warrior king Chhatrapati Shivaji.
“We want his (Bal Thackeray’s) memorial to be built here (Shivaji Park). Why won`t the government permit it? The party wants his memorial next to Chhattrapati Shivaji`s memorial,” senior party leader and former Maharashtra chief minister Manohar Joshi said. Bal Thackeray had launched the Shiv Sena from Shivaji Park 46 years back.
Meanwhile the maximum is slowly returning to normalcy on Monday. Most taxis, autos are back on the roads. BEST buses and local trains are also operating as per their normal schedule.
While retains outlets, especially chemists shops, opened today, several traders’ association have decided to close markets to observe ‘Shradhanjali Day` as a mark of respect to the Maratha strongman.
Yesterday, an emotional Uddhav Thackeray, the youngest son of the 86-year-old Shiv Sena patriarch, lit the funeral pyre a little after 6 pm, to loud roars of "Balasaheb amar rahe" (long live Balasaheb).
Raj Thackeray, the estranged nephew of Bal Thackeray and MNS chief, stood next to Uddhav with folded hands near the pyre as they accepted the condolences from political leaders, captains of industry, film personalities, relatives, friends and well wishers.
The firebrand Sena supremo, who was critically ill for the past few days, breathed his last on Saturday following a cardiac arrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender