Shivrajirao Deshmukh files nomination for Maharashhtra Council Chairman
Mumbai: Senior Congress leader Shivajirao Deshmukh on Wednesday filed his nomination for the post of Legislative Council Chairman.
Since his was the only form received till 12 noon, his re-election tomorrow will be unopposed and will be declared in the Legislative Council.
79-year-old Deshmukh took oath of member of Legislative Council for fourth term last week. He has been the Legislative Council Chairman since 2004.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and State Congress chief Manikrao Thakare, both MLCs proposed Deshmukh`s name while Sharad Ranpise (Congress) and Hemant Takle (NCP) seconded Deshmukh`s candidature.
Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, Home Minister R R Patil, Congress MLCs Sanjay Dutt and Haribhau Rathod were also present when Deshmukh filed his papers.
A one-day special session has been convened for the election of the Council Chairman tomorrow.
Deshmukh, a veteran congressman, has been a four time MLA, minister in the state government before his election to the Upper House of the legislature in 1996. He has held the post of Council Chairman since 2004.
Deshmukh has also headed the State Congress unit and now is the CWC member as well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part III
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part IV
- This gene puts you at increased kidney disease risk
- 7th Pay Commission: Here's why the latest bonanza won't amuse govt staffers much
- World Bank chief meets PM Modi, promises support to sustainable development
- World Cup winning coach Luiz Felipe Scolari wants to succeed Roy Hodgson as new England manager
- Another jolt to BSP, senior party leader RK Chaudhary also accuses Mayawati of auctioning election ticket