Shivrajirao Deshmukh files nomination for Maharashhtra Council Chairman
Mumbai: Senior Congress leader Shivajirao Deshmukh on Wednesday filed his nomination for the post of Legislative Council Chairman.
Since his was the only form received till 12 noon, his re-election tomorrow will be unopposed and will be declared in the Legislative Council.
79-year-old Deshmukh took oath of member of Legislative Council for fourth term last week. He has been the Legislative Council Chairman since 2004.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and State Congress chief Manikrao Thakare, both MLCs proposed Deshmukh`s name while Sharad Ranpise (Congress) and Hemant Takle (NCP) seconded Deshmukh`s candidature.
Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, Home Minister R R Patil, Congress MLCs Sanjay Dutt and Haribhau Rathod were also present when Deshmukh filed his papers.
A one-day special session has been convened for the election of the Council Chairman tomorrow.
Deshmukh, a veteran congressman, has been a four time MLA, minister in the state government before his election to the Upper House of the legislature in 1996. He has held the post of Council Chairman since 2004.
Deshmukh has also headed the State Congress unit and now is the CWC member as well.
- Baaghi movie review: Tiger Shroff and Shraddha Kapoor's action-packed performances fail to make an impression
- Kashmir issue must be resolved under UN resolutions: Pakistan's Aziz
- Notices issued to all those named in Panama Papers: FM Jaitley
- New violence as Paris police break up youth protest
- China, Russia rap US missile defence plan in S Korea