Sindhi leader from Ulhasnagar Sai Balram no more
Thane: Sai Balram, a prominent Sindhi saint and politician from Ulhasnagar town in the district died of a massive heart attack in Vadodara on Tuesday, family sources said.
Balram, who was instrumental in changing the power equations in the town, died at the age of 48 at the Sterling Hospital in Vadodara. He is survived by wife and two sons, sources said.
"Sai Balram`s body will be brought to Ulhasnagar late today and the last rites would be performed tomorrow," official spokesman of the Sai Party said.
Balram, who headed the Sai Party, was revered as a saint in Sindhi community and was the president of the Dharmadas Darbar, an organisation working in the field of social welfare.
During the 2007 civic elections, a number of corporators quit the NCP to contest the polls under the banner of Sai Party. Seventeen corporators of the party had got elected in the polls. His party was also supported by the BJP-Shiv Sena combine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report