SIT grills Kripashankar again in disproportionate assets case
Mumbai: Former Mumbai Congress chief Kripashankar Singh was on Friday questioned for the second time by the Special Investigating Team (SIT), probing the alleged amassing of disproportionate assets by him.
Earlier, on October 15, the SIT had recorded Singh`s statement but as this could not be completed, he was called again today to seek information regarding his properties and assets, police sources said.
Singh came alone to the police headquarters in South Mumbai, where he was questioned for several hours. A senior police official said, the Congress leader might be called again, if required.
The statements of Singh`s relatives might be recorded if it was necessary, he added.
Singh was asked various questions about his movable and immovable properties and he cooperated with the SIT while answering their queries, the officer said, but declined to say what Singh had disclosed.
He said investigations were on and therefore could not disclose anything at this juncture.
The Supreme Court had, in September, granted eight weeks time to the SIT to complete its probe into the alleged amassing of wealth disproportionate to the known sources of income of Singh.
The court had asked Mumbai Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh to head the team replacing Arup Patnaik, who was elevated to the rank of DGP.
The Maharashtra government has already submitted to the Supreme Court two reports on the SIT probe in sealed covers about the alleged benami assets of Singh and his family.
The first report was filed on April 16 in compliance with the March 13 order of the Supreme Court, which had asked the SIT to probe and collect documentary evidence regarding all movable and immovable properties of Singh and his family, including his wife, son, daughter-in-law and daughter and file its report in a sealed cover.
The apex court had passed its order on petitions filed by Singh and his family members seeking a stay on the Bombay High Court order of February 22, directing the then city police commissioner to prosecute them for "criminal misconduct" under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened